Hulls polished, antifouled and new side stripes.
Always a ‘heart in mouth’ time when being re-launched.
New batteries, Mainsail and fans fitted.
Wow…what a busy few weeks. ‘Friendship’ was re-launched on the 9th March after a frantic week getting the hulls polished and waxed, new stripes along both hulls above the waterline. Both saildrives fully overhauled and re-fitted with new hull diaphrams. Also nice new propellers and rope cutters installed. The difference in response and drive was very noticeable. Many thanks to AJ Marine for his great work.
With the 2 coats of freshly applied antifoul it looked pretty pristine if I say so myself. All finished the afternoon before re-launch so we were very lucky the weather gods were looking after us.
Once back on our pontoon at Mylor the jobs have kept coming. A calm warm day gave us a chance to swap our mainsail to our lovely new Crusader Furlmax Vectron mainsail which I cannot rate highly enough. Lovely quality at an excellent price. The nice day allowed us to lay out our old sail, wash and clean, then dry and pack away to be stowed on board as a spare.
Next was the battery upgrade. Previously installed in the battery locker were 4 100ah batteries, 2 engine start and 2 domestic. These have now been replaced by 5 ‘Fullriver’ AGM’s. 2 high cranking engine, and 3, 150ah domestic. It was very noticeable how much heavier these new batteries were. I estimate the whole battery array is at lest 50kg heavier than before.
To charge all these batteries 3x 100w solar panels are being installed. I have already fitted a semi-flexible 100w one to the top of the saloon roof which is far less obtrusive than I imagined and I’m really pleased with it. There is even room to fit another alongside this one if needed. I am still in the process of fitting a small gantry at the aft end above the davits on to which I am installing 2 rigid frame 100w panels on NOA adjustable mounts. This will allow me to angle these panels towards the rising/setting sun to maximise output. The frame construction is still in progress. I am trying very hard to avoid it looking too agricultural whilst still being strong. I have installed a high spec MPPT charge controller to look after the panels which will feed directly in to the domestic battery bank.
Also achieved was fitting and setting up our Alpha Wi-Fi antenna and router set up. I built all this system from Alpha parts and equipment off ebay at a vastly cheaper price than dedicated yachting set-ups that are available. Proof is in the pudding as they say and I’m happy to report the system works brilliantly so far.
Have also wired in two Hella turbo fans for when we have too much heat in the sun to contend with.
Still to do is splicing our Anchor rode on to our new 50m of Aqua 7 high strength anchor chain. At the business end of which is our new 25kg Rocna Anchor. We will be keeping the old Delta as a spare and also have a Fortress as our kedge.
On the 1st April we will be departing Mylor to just around the corner at Falmouth Yacht Haven which is where we will wait for around a month for better weather before setting off across channel.